Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What you say and do is an example to others

Often what we say and what we do has an impact on others, without our ever realizing that we have made a difference in someone else’s life. For that reason, we always have to be aware of what we are doing. Most people can name a schoolteacher or other important figure in their formative years. That person probably does not know what an impact they made upon you. One of the biggest on my own life is a person that I never even knew their name. Something that they did change the course of my life and made me becomes the person that I wanted to become. I never had the chance to tell them the impact that they made. At the same time, I have had people that I could barely remember their name, tell me what a difference I had made in their life by just doing what I felt was part of my job. You are doing that to people around you all of the time and you never know it.

Often patients will remember the little things that you did for them. It may have made been the day that you got up and walked around the counter just to open the door for them. Maybe you went out of your way to find cheaper medication for them or helped in some other way. You leave an impression without ever knowing it. This can affect you in many ways.

You have satisfaction of knowing you did a job well and sometimes you are even recognized for that. However, do not expect to be recognized for a job well done, often you do not hear what people think of your work. If you do something poorly, it can come back to haunt you and can hurt you in ways you never know. For example, if you were rude to a patient and they tell a family member or friend it can keep that person form coming to the office and hurt business or it is possible that you want to apply for a job. One time I did not get along well with a co-worker due to several issues. Later on, I applied for a job with another company. It turned out that the former co-worker was related to the interviewer. I had done very well until they asked the former co-worker their opinion of me. Several other people later told me that was the reason I did not get the job. Healthcare is a small field in many ways. Keep that in mind and do not make the mistake of burning bridges. Once lost a reputation is hard to rebuild.

Always be an example of what you would want to follow. You may not be in a current leadership position, but that does not mean that you cannot set an example.

No comments: